$389 billion. That’s the estimated global advertising expenditure for 2021], signifying how vital business marketing has become. It doesn't matter how advanced, inventive, or useful your products or services are if the right people are not able to view them. In this case, your business will not generate significant sales. This means that you have to advertise your business in a way that reaches the intended audience.
While this is not an exhaustive list by any means, this guide details the most popular and effective ways to advertise your business.
- Search Engine Optimization
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) refers to the process of improving the quality and the quantity of traffic to your website. SEO is an ever-growing field with companies constantly trying to create content that enhances their visibility in search engine queries.
With Google alone processing more than 2 trillion global searches every year, the competition in website ranking is beyond intense. And this is one of those methods where you cannot pay your way to a larger audience. Hence, you have to learn SEO optimization skills and tricks, some of which include the following:
- Choosing an appropriate topic for your keywords
- Finding and answering questions commonly associated with your keyword(s)
- Including visual content: videos and images
- Having a good mix of different types of headings
- Adding links to your own website
- Optimizing your page for speed and user experience
If you would rather focus on your business and leave the side details to others, you can employ and boost your business with custom SEO services.
- Social Media Marketing
If you’re uncertain about how to market your business and need to begin with a very basic plan, leverage the power of social media marketing. It's one of the most reliable and cost-effective ways of promoting your business, as there are over 3 billion social media users today.
Since most of us regularly use social media and engage with various businesses on it ourselves, it can be assumed that social media marketing is all about posting a huge amount of relevant content. Not only do small to mid-sized businesses rely heavily upon social media marketing, but even more than 97% of Fortune 500 companies use at least one social network to promote their products or services. Therefore, with the saturation of businesses on social networking sites, it is more important than ever to use the right strategies to ensure that your content reaches your target audience and prompts them to act. Here are some strategies to interact with your potential audience:
- Analyze your target audience, business, and various social media networks to determine the platforms most well-suited for your potential customers. For instance, if you have a clothing business, Instagram must be a top choice for you since it is a source of visual information. Similarly, a music-based business should strongly consider YouTube.
- Prompt your audience to engage with your content. If you post engrossing captions to go alongside photos, users are more likely to leave comments and ask questions. Encourage your followers to tag their friends or share your posts with others, and provide incentives to interact with your page, such as giveaways.
- Create content that is relevant and interesting to your audience. This means you should avoid spamming, add high-quality images, and offer shoppable tags that act as a link to your ecommerce store (if you have one).
- One of the easiest tricks when it comes to advertising on social media is to carefully set the timings for uploading content. Utilize your business insights and study the trends and patterns of your audience’s behavior to determine the time your followers are most likely to see and engage with your content.
- Guest Posting
Also known as guest blogging, guest posting is a lesser-known but very underrated marketing method. It's a great choice if you’re wondering how to promote your business in a way that your products and services reach your exact intended audience.
Guest posting refers to writing content for another individual or company’s website. Mostly, writers choose websites that are within their domain or industry. On the surface level, guest posting doesn’t seem too useful - why write content for others and generate traffic to their website with your efforts? However, guest posting is different from merely posting a blog on another website.
To make the most out of the opportunity to feature your work on another website, here are a few tips:
- Identify your goal, first and foremost. Do you wish to build awareness of your brand? Are you looking to attract traffic to your website? Do you want to establish yourself as an authority in your domain? Knowing your goal will help you create a blog post tailored to your objectives.
- To reach a new audience, choose a website with a significantly larger number of subscribers than yours.
- Do not ignore your biography. This is arguably the most important part of guest blogging. You need to make yourself highly visible to your audience and give them a chance to learn about your business. Make sure you include the link to your website or social media handles here.
The efficacy of guest blogging is often questioned, but it is undeniable that it comes with many advantages. Some of the most common benefits of this method include the following;
- Building authority
- Brand development
- Getting credibility from other publications
- Gaining a new audience
- Driving traffic to your website
- Building relationships within the industry
Pay-per-click (PPC) is an internet advertising model whereby the advertiser pays a certain fee each time the advertisement is clicked. With PPC, brands do not have to generate organic traffic to their website and simply strategically place advertisements on various websites, attempting to get visits from users clicking on those advertisements.
This is among the most rampant strategies by marketers when considering how to advertise your business. Google Ads is a very well-renowned online advertising platform that offers PPC as well. It assigns a rank to each advertisement according to which the advertisement is positioned. The advertisement rank is determined by two factors: the CPC bid (maximum bid for your keyword) and quality score (relevance of the ad to users).
- Affiliate Marketing
With affiliate marketing, brands pay individuals or website owners - for example, bloggers - to promote their products or services and drive sales in exchange for a commission. This is one of those promotional strategies that will cost you, but the payoff is tremendous. Those who have authority and credibility in their domains are widely followed by people, and their recommendations are highly trusted. This strategy is so powerful that around 16% of e-commerce sales worldwide can be attributed to affiliate marketing.
So how exactly does affiliate marketing work? An affiliate promotes the brand’s products or services on their website or social network along with a link to purchase it. The viewer clicks the link and lands on the brand’s e-commerce store from where they buy the product or service. This transaction and its details are recorded, and once the sale is confirmed as valid, it is credited to the affiliate. The affiliate is then paid the predetermined commission.
A major benefit of this particular method of advertising is that it is platform-independent. You can pay someone to market your product anywhere and in any way - Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, or their website, to name a few platforms. Additionally, do not be discouraged by the notion that only large brands can afford affiliate marketing. If you are thinking about how to advertise your small business, you can reach out to bloggers or influencers who have relatively lower rates.
Which Promotion Method Is the Best for Your Business?
Some marketers may believe one promotion method is superior or sell you their particular service by claiming it outperforms others. However, when pondering how to advertise your business, the takeaway is that there is no universal best among these promotional methods.
You need to find a promotional strategy or a set of strategies that best suits your business and is designed meticulously while keeping your business in mind. It is highly recommended to obtain a deep understanding of your business domain, target audience, and objectives before investing much - monetarily or otherwise - into any single way to promote your business.
Combine Multiple Strategies for More Effective Advertisement
Combining different promotional strategies often gives you the strongest chance of putting your product right in front of the intended audience. Let's consider an example to understand this further.
Suppose you run a fashion label. You can harness the power of various promotional methods to advertise your products. Among the top, there would be social media - Instagram being the most significant due to its emphasis on visual perception. Along with this, you can engage in affiliate marketing with established fashion bloggers who can promote your products via recommendations.
Similarly, you can write fashion-related blogs or articles for their websites as a guest and create awareness around your brand along with generating traffic to your e-commerce store with backlinks. If you would like to include blogs on your website, you can optimize SEO to rank higher on search engines and make it easier for fashionistas to find your business.
That being said, realize the difference between combining multiple strategies and spreading yourself too thin. Using an abundance of promotional ways will not necessarily guarantee successful advertising. The key is to understand your target audience and move forward from there.
For instance, if you plan to market to professionals aged 25-35, posting to Instagram is vital since this group is usually running low on time and might only have the time to scroll through their visual feed. Guest posting might not be lucrative at all in this case because such people usually do not have the time to sit down and read blogs to find recommendations for shopping.
If you require guidance on how to promote your business, it can be very beneficial to consult marketing services and obtain a well-tailored advertisement plan.