Companies such as Netflix, Amazon, LinkedIn, and Tumblr started heavily using Node.js. Enterprises like eBay and AliExpress are using it as their primary backend language, putting subtle pressure on previously reigning languages like PHP.
- It can be combined with multiple languages, such as HTML, XML, and AJAX, etc., whereas PHP can only integrate well with HTML. It also comes with many state-of-the-art frameworks.
- In most cases, it performs faster than PHP. The asynchronous nature of Node.js allows running through the entire code without any wait for functions to execute. The V8 engine for Node.js brings further speed.
- With its vast support for different frameworks and architectures, it is more cloud-friendly, allowing better use of the microservices architecture.
Advantages of PHP
- It is an extremely flexible language, allowing you to use it with multiple languages. This enriches any software solution because each feature can then be coded in the language most optimal for it. This gives PHP not only code flexibility but configuration flexibility too. PHP is also lauded for its flexible database connectivity, i.e., it can connect to a large number of databases, including PostgreSQL, Apache, and MySQL.
- Since it is compatible with most operating systems, such as Windows, Linux, and macOS, PHP can run on multiple platforms and integrate well with different software. This leads to reduced time and effort.
- PHP also stands out because of its compatibility with cloud services. Today, software and digital products are increasingly using cloud solutions. A PHP-based application can easily be supported by various cloud services – for example, Amazon Web Services (AWS) Lambda. By deploying an application on the cloud, its accessibility and scalability are enhanced.
Apart from these, PHP stands out for its efficient performance, ease of learning, multi-threading, and high scalability. Lastly, it comes with a very widespread and helpful community, which adds to its popularity.
Which Language to Choose for Server-Side in 2022?
If you have an existing project in PHP, you can continue working with it while keeping in mind to update any languages, frameworks, or libraries that you are using to their latest or the latest compatible versions.